Construction Manager (Southern Region)
BES works with world-leading organisations in the pharmaceutical, life science and healthcare sectors to create cutting-edge cleanrooms, laboratories and other sophisticated environments. Our specialist services encompass consultancy, design, construction, commissioning and validation
Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer must be professional at all times.
In addition to your specific duties and responsibilities you must always represent the company in the best possible light in order to help secure repeat business opportunities.
Site based and reporting to the Site Operations Manager, your primary roles and responsibilities are set out below:-
Although ultimately the responsibility for the project lies with the Project Manager you will have responsibility for all site activities, these can be split into specific areas which are described in more detail below
- Safety, Health and the Environment.
- Procurement and Resources.
- Programming and Planning.
As the ‘front line’ point of contact with the Client you will need to be customer focused, non confrontational and establish good working relationships.
Based on site you will also have a responsibility for attendance at site meetings and therefore providing feedback from these meetings etc. to all other staff and liaison and coordination with all other contractors and site based project teams.
Safety, Health and the Environment
You will have an excellent knowledge of current legislation, requirements and best practice and will be experienced in monitoring and continually improving Health and Safety at site level. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following,
- Promote and maintain a positive health and safety culture on site.
- Utilise the BES / Boulting Group Safety Management System in full.
- All work to be carried out with close reference to the Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan.
- Ensuring that method statements & risk assessments are produced, reviewed & submitted for all installations.
- Achieve Zero Lost Time Accidents on site.
- Prepare / review COSHH assessments.
- Carry out regular toolbox talks and site safety audits.
- Liaise with BES safety advisor.
- Supply and monitor appropriate PPE.
BES often fulfills the role of Principal Contractor and therefore you will be responsible for the Health and Safety of the site as a whole including other 3rd party contractors, you should be experienced and comfortable in this role.
You will be responsible for the quality and standard of work for the complete installation on site and therefore you will be required to carry out the following tasks:
- Liaison with all disciplines to ensure works is accurately coordinated.
- Inspection of final installation, completion of snag lists and monitoring of completion of snags
- Correctly interpret drawings and documents for installation
- Thorough communication with tradesmen of the working practices required
- Inspection of onsite installations.
- Set, maintain and agree standards of workmanship
- Understand the BES Quality System, implement and promote
- Verify, maintain and review inspection records
- Achieve Zero Formal Customer Complaints
- Assess build ability of the installation and provide proactive solutions where required
- Maintain a site diary
- Induction and approval of tradesmen (including sub contractors)
Procurement and Resources
Procurement of major plant and subcontract packages will be the responsibility of the Project Manager; however you will be required to carry out the following:
- Agree working arrangements with all key service providers
- Monitor on site resources.
- Procurement of equipment, plant hire and materials.
- Supervision of all site labour.
- Organisation and management of sub contractors on site to meet project time scales.
- Plan and assign work on site.
- Organisation, receipt, inspection, storage and control of incoming goods and materials.
The preparation of the construction programme will usually be the responsibility of the Project Manager or Project Planner, however you will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Liaise with the BES Project Manager & Project Planner regularly to discuss planning and progress.
- Liaise with relevant members of the project team to discuss and agree programme requirements.
- Ensure the project is competed to the agreed timescales.
- Chair daily briefs with contractors to ensure planning & progress is in line with the current PDR board.
- Complete weekly site reports.
- Monitor labour levels on site
- Proactively manage the construction works on site and organise the works effectively.
Knowledge & Experience
- Trained to a minimum standard of IoSH Managing Safely or SMSTS
- Experienced in managing turnkey projects including construction, HVAC, mechanical and electrical works.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets is preferred particularly in the construction of laboratories and cleanrooms.
- Working knowledge of company safety and quality procedures.
- IT literate.
- Fully conversant with CDM regulations and able to operate at senior level in fulfilling the role of Principal Contractor.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in industry.