BES works with world-leading organisations in the pharmaceutical, life science and healthcare sectors to create cutting-edge cleanrooms, laboratories and other sophisticated environments. Committed to innovation and excellence in all we do, our specialist services encompass consultancy, design, construction, commissioning and validation.
Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer must be professional at all times.
In addition to your specific duties and responsibilities you must always represent the company in the best possible light in order to help secure repeat business opportunities.
Based in the Rochdale office you will report to a Principal Architect / Design Lead, your primary roles and responsibilities are set out below :-
Although reporting to the Design Lead you will have responsibility for the following mechanical / HVAC design processes from concept through to detailed design including involvement in commissioning support as required.
• Safety, Health and the Environment.
• Procurement and Resources.
• Programming and Planning.
In line with our core business, you would have in depth knowledge and competence in the detailed design of building services systems for complex validated facilities, which meet cGMP and ISO 14644 requirements such as:
• Research and QA / QC laboratories
• Sensitive research facilities
• Pilot scale manufacturing
• Full scale manufacturing
• Potent processing
• Sterile manufacturing
You would be expected to be an integral part of a multi-service design and installation team and be proactive in ensuring effective communication and production of good quality information. As part of this team, you will also play a role in the development of junior project and design engineers.
You would have a good working knowledge of HEVACOMP building services design software
A major aspect of your work would be the development of detailed designs suitable for procurement and installation including sizing, selection, space planning and routing for all necessary plant, equipment and distribution networks to meet the needs of both human comfort and process specific requirements. This would be with the support of CAD draughtsmen.
Competence of all major building services systems would be required including:
• General & process specific supply & extract ventilation
• Fume & dust extract
• Clean room ventilation
• Comfort air conditioning
• Process specific heating / cooling / dehumidification and humidification
• Chilled water
• LPHW / MPHW & HPHW , Steam & Condensate
• Building Management Systems
• Natural Gas
• Compressed air
• Nitrogen & Special Gases
• Domestic & process H&CWS
• Above ground drainage
• Provide necessary information to support statutory authority submissions.
You will be expected to have sufficient working knowledge to enable you to establish client’s requirements and to specify and communicate with specialist providers.
Attend meetings with clients to develop and finalise design proposals
You would be office based but be expected to visit sites as necessary to undertake general and detailed surveys on existing buildings.
The majority of your work will be in the Pharmaceutical, Healthcare and Food and Drink Sectors, providing detailed designs on projects ranging from sensitive research facilities to complex and demanding sterile manufacturing environments.
Safety, Health and the Environment
You will have an excellent knowledge of current legislation, requirements and best practice and all design works should be in compliance.
You would be competent in complying with CDM regulations especially the production of good quality design risk assessments and control measures.
You will be expected to deliver design information which is clear and of a standard suitable for efficient installation from in house tradesmen and specialist supply chain providers.
You would be expected to work in line with our accredited quality assurance procedures ISO 9001 – 2015.
Procurement and Planning
Procurement of major plant and subcontract packages will be the responsibility of the Project Manager; however you will be required to carry out the following:
• Secure and check compliant quotations for all plant, equipment and systems.
• Produce procurement schedules.
• Assist in planning works for design and procurement phases
Knowledge & Experience
• Minimum HNC qualified in Building Services but ideally qualified to degree level.
• Trained to a minimum standard of IoSH Managing Safely.
• Experienced in design and co-ordination of turnkey projects including construction, HVAC, mechanical and electrical works.
• IT literate and familiar with design packages i.e. Hevacomp, Cymap etc.
• Working knowledge of company quality and safety procedures.
• Fully conversant with CDM regulations and in particular of the design risk assessment process.
• Experienced in the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets is preferred, particularly in the construction of laboratories and cleanrooms.
• Able to lead work as part of a team delivering a fully co-ordinated / integrated solution.
• Able to meet the requirements of BES competency Profile for Senior Design Engineers.
• Conversant with ISO 9001 quality systems and procedures.
• Conversant with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Project and a working knowledge of AutoCAD systems.
• Have a least ten years experience of working in practice with the ability to generate commercial designs and an eye to provide unique solutions.
• Customer focussed and able to liaise with senior personnel within the clients organisation.
• Attend site meetings