Senior Mechanical Designer
BES works with world-leading organisations in the pharmaceutical, life science and healthcare sectors to create cutting-edge cleanrooms, laboratories and other sophisticated environments. Committed to innovation and excellence in all we do, our specialist services encompass consultancy, design, construction, commissioning and validation.
Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer must be professional at all times.
In addition to your specific duties and responsibilities you must always represent the company in the best possible light in order to help secure repeat business opportunities.
Based in the Rochdale office you will report to a Design Lead, your primary roles and responsibilities are set out below :-
Although reporting to the Design Lead you will have responsibility for the following mechanical / HVAC design processes from concept through to detailed design including involvement in commissioning support as required.
- Safety, Health and the Environment.
- Procurement and Resources.
- Programming and Planning.
- Research and QA / QC laboratories
- Sensitive research facilities
- Pilot scale manufacturing
- Full scale manufacturing
- Potent processing
- Sterile manufacturing
You would have a good working knowledge of HEVACOMP building services design software.
A major aspect of your work would be the development of detailed designs suitable for procurement and installation including sizing, selection, space planning and routing for all necessary plant, equipment and distribution networks to meet the needs of both human comfort and process specific requirements. This would be with the support of CAD draughtsman.
Competence of all major building services systems would be required including:
- General & process specific supply & extract ventilation
- Fume & dust extract
- Clean room ventilation
- Comfort air conditioning
- Process specific heating / cooling / dehumidification and humidification
- Chilled water
- LPHW / MPHW & HPHW , Steam & Condensate
- Building Management Systems
- Natural Gas
- Compressed air
- Nitrogen & Special Gases
- Domestic & process H&CWS
- Above ground drainage
- Provide necessary information to support statutory authority submissions.
You would be office based but be expected to visit sites as necessary to undertake general and detailed surveys on existing buildings.
You would be expected to work in line with our accredited quality assurance procedures ISO 9001 – 2015.
Procurement and Planning
- Secure and check compliant quotations for all plant, equipment and systems.
- Produce procurement schedules.
- Assist in planning works for design and procurement phases
- Minimum HNC qualified in Building Services but ideally qualified to degree level.
- Trained to a minimum standard of IoSH Managing Safely.
- Experienced in design and co-ordination of turnkey projects including construction, HVAC, mechanical and electrical works.
- IT literate and familiar with design packages i.e. Hevacomp, Cymap etc.
- Working knowledge of company quality and safety procedures.
- Fully conversant with CDM regulations and in particular of the design risk assessment process.
- Experienced in the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets is preferred, particularly in the construction of laboratories and cleanrooms.
- Able to lead work as part of a team delivering a fully co-ordinated / integrated solution.
- Able to meet the requirements of BES competency Profile for Senior Design Engineers.
- Conversant with ISO 9001 quality systems and procedures.
- Conversant with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Project and a working knowledge of AutoCAD systems.
- Have a least ten years’ experience of working in practice with the ability to generate commercial designs and an eye to provide unique solutions.
- Customer focussed and able to liaise with senior personnel within the clients’ organisation.
- Attend site meetings