BES works with world-leading organisations in the pharmaceutical, life science and healthcare sectors to create cutting-edge cleanrooms, laboratories and other sophisticated environments. Committed to innovation and excellence in all we do, our specialist services encompass consultancy, design, construction, commissioning and validation.
Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer must be professional at all times.
In addition to your specific duties and responsibilities you must always represent the company in the best possible light in order to help secure repeat business opportunities.
Reporting to a Project Manager your primary roles and responsibilities are set out below:-
BES operate within a range of different commercial arrangements including lump sum work, alliance & collaborative contracts and term agreements and you should be familiar with each of these arrangements. You must also have good knowledge and understanding of JCT and NEC building contracts.
Although your prime functions are the commercial management of projects together with input into the development of commercial practices within the organisation your support may also be required in tendering projects and therefore Tendering / Estimating is also included within your job description.
Therefore your roles and responsibilities can be split into the following specific areas:-
- Collaborative Contracts
- Commercial Support
- System Development
- Tendering / Estimating
However in essence your role is to closely identify, analyse and develop responses to commercial risk, control / monitor all commercial aspects of the projects most importantly to maximise our profitability whilst managing the cashflow.
BES work very closely with Boulting Group, particularly on certain key accounts and therefore you will work constructively with the group to provide a fully co-ordinated commercial service to these clients.
Provide a wide range of commercial support to alliance / collaborative projects including the preparation of monthly cost reports, management of change control etc.
Prepare and monitor risk analysis schedules and provide input into strategies to mitigate these risks during the course of the work.
Prepare, monitor and report on KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators).
Develop benchmarking information, primarily for HVAC and Fit Out works to demonstrate value for money.
Develop matrices to establish earned value on projects and be able to manipulate this information to generate S curves etc.
Provide commercial support to engineers and project managers by preparing applications, invoices, variations and general commercial input into projects.
Working in close liaison with the Project Manager you will monitor costs on projects and prepare monthly financial forecasts with full reconciliation against cost incurred, committed cost, future cost and variations.
Review and provide commercial advice on Terms and Conditions for tenders and contracts to highlight any associated risks.
You will work in close liaison with the Project Manager to procure sub-contract work packages, equipment and general materials, however you will also be required to carry out the following:-
- Produce procurement schedules
- Advising on procurement strategy
- Agree working arrangements with all key service providers
- Agree terms and conditions and raise orders for significant work packages
Develop cost systems and procedures to streamline cost control, ordering procedures and commercial frameworks.
Tendering / Estimating
You shall work with the project manager in preparing lump sum bids, target costs and budget prices for prospective clients including the following:
- Compile enquiry documents for competitive bidding
- Analyse sub-contractors tender returns, compile tender analysis report
- Determine preliminary allowances including design and staff costs against programme
- Produce S curve of project expenditure across programme
- Preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities in a professional format for Client
- Material listing
- Assisting in establishing a client’s requirements and undertaking feasibility studies
- Prepare cost schedules using schedules of rates
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- A degree in Quantity Surveying is preferred but minimum qualifications are HNC in Quantity Surveying/ Building Services or Building Studies/Construction.
- Other relevant courses accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- Fully conversant with traditional forms of contract but also alliance, collaborative and re-imbursable type projects.
- IT proficient.
- Membership or accreditation with any professional institution (RICS/ICE/CIBSE/CIOB) would be favorable.
- Minimum 10 years experience in industry.