Project Manager (Southern Region)
BES works with world-leading organisations in the pharmaceutical, life science and healthcare sectors to create cutting-edge cleanrooms, laboratories and other sophisticated environments. Our specialist services encompass consultancy, design, construction, commissioning and validation
Our clients operate in highly regulated industries and therefore the service we offer must be professional at all times.
In addition to your specific duties and responsibilities you must always represent the company in the best possible light in order to help secure repeat business opportunities.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, your primary roles and responsibilities are set out below:-
Although responsible to the Managing Director you will have responsibility for all aspects of the project which can be split into specific areas as described in more detail below:
- Safety, Health and the Environment.
- Procurement and Resources.
- Programming and Planning.
As the Client’s main point of contact you will need to be customer focused, non confrontational and establish good working relationships.
Predominantly office based, you will also have a responsibility for attendance at progress meetings and providing feedback from these meetings etc. to all other staff and liaison and coordination with all designers, project engineers and members of the project team.
You will have overall responsibility for the design process and for ensuring that all documentation is produced in line with the project programme to the required Quality standards.
- Ensure early production of Design Risk Assessments.
- Allocate the resources required to carry out all design work within both the programme and commercial constraints of the project.
- Chair design review meetings in line with the Project Quality Plan.
- Liaise with the Client and the Design team to ensure that User requirements together with the Projects commercial constraints are fully accounted for within the detailed design.
- Maintain an overview of the detailed design to ensure that all deliverables are issued on time and to the standards required by BES and our Clients.
Safety, Health and the Environment
You will have an excellent knowledge of current legislation, requirements and best practice. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following,
- Promote and maintain a positive health and safety culture throughout the project team.
- Utilise the BES / Boulting Group Safety Management System in full.
- Ensure that the Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan is produced and contains accurate and relevant information with regard to the specific site and project.
- Ensure that method statements and risk assessments are checked by the site manager in line with the Health and Safety Management System.
- Ensure that the production of Hazard Identification and risk assessments are carried out in the early stages of the design process, and updated as the project progresses.
- Review risk assessments, method statements and COSHH assessments as required together with the site manager.
- Carry out regular site safety audits.
- Liaise with BES safety advisor.
You will be responsible for the quality and standard of work for the complete project from design to installation to commissioning, validation and handover and therefore you will be required to carry out the following tasks:
- Ensure production of the Project Quality Plan.
- Ensure compliance with BES Quality Systems throughout all stages of the project.
- Liaise with the Client to determine project requirements and a thorough understanding of the Clients requirements.
- Liaison with all disciplines to ensure works is accurately coordinated.
- Inspection of final installation, ensure completion of snag lists and monitoring of completion of snags
- Fully communicate with the site manager and site teams to ensure full understanding by all of the drawings and documents for installation
- Inspection of on site installations.
- Set, maintain and agree standards of workmanship with the site manager.
- Understand the BES Quality System, implement and promote
- Verify, maintain and review inspection records
- Achieve Zero Formal Customer Complaints
- Assess build ability of the installation and provide proactive solutions where required
- Agree format of handover documentation with the Client including commissioning test sheets, Validation protocols and handover certificates.
- Carry out Project review meetings as required, and in line with the Quality Plan, as a minimum.
Procurement and Resources
Procurement of major plant and subcontract packages will be the responsibility of the Project Manager; together with ensuring adequate internal resource to carry out the various aspects of a project and you will be required to carry out the following:
- Agree resources required to fulfil the required project roles, with the managing director.
- Agree working arrangements with all key service providers
- Produce procurement schedules.
- Procurement of equipment, plant hire and materials.
- Organisation and management of sub contractor procurement to meet project time scales.
- Prepare the project programme with input from all relevant parties.
Programming / Planning
The preparation of the construction programme will be the responsibility of the Project Manager with the Project Planner, and you will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Liaise with the project team regularly to discuss planning and progress.
- Liaise with relevant members of the project team to discuss and agree programme requirements.
- Ensure the project is competed to the agreed timescales.
- Prepare short and long term programmes.
- Ensure preparation of progress reports.
- Report progress of the project to the Client, and to the Managing Director during Project Reviews.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum HNC qualified in Building Services or Building Studies.
- Trained to a minimum standard of IoSH Managing Safely.
- Experienced in managing turnkey projects including construction, HVAC, mechanical and electrical works.
- Experienced in the pharmaceutical and healthcare markets is preferred particularly in the construction of laboratories and cleanrooms.
- Working knowledge of company safety and quality procedures.
- IT literate and conversant with Microsoft Office, Outlook and Project.
- Fully conversant with CDM regulations and able to operate at senior level in fulfilling the role of principal contractor.
- Customer focussed and able to communicate at the highest level within client organisations.